Spaghetti with white clam sauce
When digging in the lagoons of Venice, there are many treasures to be found, the best of them being tiny clams that are abundant in these waters. It’s these same clams that are the foundation of an Italian seafood pasta dish, Spaghetti Alla Vongole.
In a town known for restaurants that serve inadequate food, is a family-run establishment named, Osteria Al Mascaron. A local favored spot, this family eatery is less about the ubiquitous pretentiousness and all about the food quality. Which makes it an anomaly in this beautiful city on water.
Their version of Spaghetti alla Vongole is as good as it gets. Al dente spaghetti, olive oil as virgin as Mary herself, fresh parsley, a hint of garlic, and of course, the clams that taste like the sea itself. The offering is large enough for two, and with a carafe of cold Soave wine, and evening couldn’t be better spent.
Next time you visit Venice, visit the Mercato di Rialto by day, take a look at the beautiful little clams that are sold there, then in the evening, skip the gondola ride, and spend your money instead, on the best dish you’ll find on the island.Print
Spaghetti Alla Vongole – Spaghetti with white clam sauce
A recipe that transports us to Venice, Italy. Spaghetti Alla Vongole. Pasta with white clams.
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 30 mins.
- Total Time: 45 mins.
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: Italian
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5-quart pot.
- Season lightly with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender.
- Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, swirling pan often, until just golden.
- Add red pepper flakes and continue cooking 15 more seconds
- Add wine, then clams; increase heat to high.
- Cover skillet and cook until clams open and release their juices, 3-6 minutes, depending on the size of the clams.
- As clams open, use tongs to transfer them to a bowl.
- Add ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water to skillet; bring to a boil.
- Add pasta to pan.
- Cook over high heat, tossing constantly until pasta is al dente and has soaked up some of the sauce from the pan.
- Add clams and any juices from bowl to pan, along with parsley, and toss to combine. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.)
- Transfer pasta to warm bowls and drizzle with remaining oil.
Keywords: spaghetti alla vongole, spaghetti with white clam sauce