Our family are big television watchers. We especially enjoyed British television during our time traveling the UK. One day, while flipping channels, we discovered an English cooking show called Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking. We were hooked on the show. We not only loved his recipes, we also enjoyed his personality, which was both educational and light.
On one episode he shared a recipe he called, Rhubarb and Caramel sauce. Never having had rhubarb before, and because it looked so simple, we ran right out to the grocery store and rushed back to make it for dessert the evening.
We don't share much in the way of dessert recipes on Dish Our Town, but because this was bake-free (we are not good bakers) it was something we were able to tackle. Since the inception, we had made it multiple times and considered one of our "go to" sweet recipes.
Below is the recipe, and we hope it will be part of your home-made dessert arsenal.Print
Nigel Slater's Rhubarb with Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 mins.
- Cook Time: 5 mins.
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4
- Plain White Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Thin Double Cream (of course we don't have that in the U.S. but regular whipping cream will do)
- Vanilla Extract
- Cut rhubarb into 1 or 2 inch pieces
- Add to a non-stick pan (preferably something like Le Creuset)
- Add sugar (just eyeball it) maybe 1/2 cup
- Add Tablespoon of water to make a syrupy sauce
- When the rhubarb is soft, then take them out and put in a pan
- Add a little brown sugar, maybe just a tablespoon and stir in until dark
- Add double cream to syrup until it thickens and makes a caramel sauce add a bit of vanilla extract
- Add to Rhubarb
If rhubarb isn't available, it can also be made with apple and a bit of cinnamon, it's just as delicious.
- Serving Size: 4
Keywords: nigel slater's rhubarb caramel sauce, rhubarb caramel sauce, rhubarb dessert, easy dessert